Homeowner’s Insurance

Your home is the one place you should always feel safe. But what do you do when something happens to your home, and everything in it?

Homeowner’s insurance policies pay to repair or rebuild your home after a disaster up to your coverage limit. Lightning, fire, hurricanes and hail are standard covered causes, and your policy will usually cover detached structures on your property, too.

Personal belongings are covered under most homeowner’s and renter’s policies up to a limit. After all, a disaster that destroys your home destroys what’s inside.

If you or a family member causes injury to damage to others, your homeowner’s Liability Protection covers you. This includes pets, so if your dog bites someone your legal expenses and payout will be covered up to your liability limit. This coverage will also pay medical bills if someone outside of your household is injured in your home, no lawsuit necessary.

The last thing a standard homeowner’s policy offers is Additional Living Expenses (ALE) coverage. If your home is unlivable due to a covered disaster, the extra cost of living away from home (such as hotel bills) will be covered up to a dollar and/or time limitation.

Knowing a few things before you quote a policy will be sure you have enough coverage. Know what it will cost to rebuild your home if it is totally destroyed. A household inventory can help you assess the level of personal property coverage you need. Particularly expensive items, such as art, furs, jewelry or collectibles may require being appraised and scheduled on a personal property “floater” to ensure they are fully covered if stolen. Belongings stored off-premises are usually covered, but only up to 10% of your personal property limits.

In high-risk areas, Wind and Hail coverage is often limited, and supplemental coverages are worth asking about. If you need Flood or Earthquake coverage, those policies must be purchased separately.

Some households require higher liability limits; ask your agent about an Excess Liability “Umbrella” policy.

Plummer Insurance has many insurance partners, giving you access to a wide range of coverages tailored to your family’s needs. You can get a quote started online with our price comparison tool or talk to an agent today!